Volunteer - SaveRohingya
Registering Teams through July 2020
An estimated 925,000 Rohingya people of Myanmar have been displaced and are unable to return to their homes since communal violence erupted there in August 2017. They have sought shelter in neighboring Bangladesh and are putting up in makeshift camps. Most of them are the elderly, women, and children who urgently need food and water, shelter, and basic health care. The U.N. and the Bangladeshi government resources are limited and NGOs are augmenting much-needed emergency care.
IMANA Medical Relief is sending its medical relief teams under the umbrella of FIMA (Federation of Islamic Medical Associations) in coordination with local partners. Our volunteer doctors travel to Bangladesh to provide critically necessary healthcare and static clinics via mobile makeshift refugee camps. IMR teams have rotated weekly to the Rohingya camps; they have treated 302,224 patients as of December 2019.
We need your help to keep providing this critically needed healthcare cover to the destitute, displaced Rohingya refugees in Bangladesh.
Volunteer OpportunitiesSaveRohingya Medical Missions
1. The basic purpose of our mission is to assist and supplement in increasing the mobile clinic outreach. The patient volume is averaging at 400-500 per day.
2. We are seeking volunteers from the following specialties: Family Practice, Internal medicine, Emergency Medicine, Pediatrics, Ob-Gyn and Psychiatry. Physicians Assistants, Nurse Practitioners, and only final year Residents from above-listed specialties may also apply.
3. Visas are required for US and Canadian nationals traveling to Bangladesh. Visa processing time is 14 business days from the date of submission of passport at the Bangladesh embassy.
4. Volunteer holding passports from other countries need to check the visa requirements with the respective Bangladesh embassy beforehand.
5. Teams depart on Thursday and return the subsequent Friday, in conjunction with their deployment dates. Upon arrival in Dhaka, a domestic flight from Dhaka to Cox Bazar also needs to be purchased.
6. We need a minimum of 6 weeks processing time from point of registration to departing for the mission, to be able to complete all neccessary preperations.
Logistics in Cox Bazar:
1. Volunteer Responsibilities: Team members will be responsible for all international and domestic airfare, plus meals.
2. IMR Responsibilities: Expenses related to lodging and transportation for clinical activities.
3. Daily Schedule: Clinical activities will be from Sunday through Thursday. Team members will return to Dhaka Saturday forenoon and take onward connections in the afternoon/evening.
Registrations are currently suspended owing to the Covid-19 emergency
IMR is coordinating fundraising activities and expects each selected team member to help raise a minimum of $1000 towards medical relief efforts.
Registering for a mission is not a guarantee of selection. We will inform you individually once the team is finalized. DO NOT make any travel arrangements until then.
101 W. 22nd Street Suite 104, Lombard IL, 60148
IMANA is a registered 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization. All donations to IMANA and IMANA Medical Relief are tax exempt. Tax ID: #36-4166125
IMANA’s dedicated CFC Code: 36981.